If you’re thinking about starting an Apprenticeship program, there are a number of funding options to look into, including tax credits and federal and state grants.
Iowa’s Registered Apprenticeship Development Fund, also known as 15C, is a fund of $1 million available annually to support registered apprenticeships and help increase the number of apprenticeships in Iowa.
Businesses starting a new Registered Apprenticeship program in a high demand occupation are eligible to apply for a reimbursement grant. Eligible programs started in 2021 should apply for the grant in January 2022.
Businesses are eligible for up to $25,000 per occupation, capped at $50,000 if a business starts an Apprenticeship program in two high demand occupations.
Once the grant has been approved, recipients provide documentation of expenses related to the Apprenticeship program and receive reimbursement for up to the grant amount. Training related expenses include equipment, technology, and even the trainer’s salary.
Eligibility Requirements for 15C Grant
- Must be a DOL approved apprenticeship program
- Must have 20 or less registered apprentices.
- 70% of the apprentices must reside in Iowa, the remainder must reside in state contiguous to Iowa
- Existing apprenticeship programs receiving 15B funds are not eligible
- Programs are eligible to apply in the January application window the calendar year after they create a registered apprenticeship program.
- Budget and Document the cost of your Apprenticeship Program
- Enroll your employees in the Apprenticeship Program that is correct for you
- Contact Iowa Economic Development to Start the Application Process
- Submit Application in January of 2022 and wait for the funds to be awarded April of 2022
If you’re interested in starting an Apprenticeship program, we can walk you through the process and set you up with one of our customizable Apprenticeship programs in Manufacturing, Distribution, IT, Healthcare, or Professional Services.
Don’t see your occupation listed? We’re happy to answer any questions you have about grant eligibility and how to start a program, and point you in the right direction if we don’t offer a program that works for you. Contact us below and we’ll get in touch!